Hello All! I am currently barricaded in the Boole Basement, the computer floor of the library on campus, as it is raining outside. I was supposed to have choir from 7-9pm, but after walking the 20 minutes there they say rehearsal isn't until 9 because there is some match on. It then starts to rain, and I refuse to walk home only to walk back again in little over an hour.
Only in Ireland does choir rehearsal get postponed due to a sports game.
AND I didn't bring anything to do, i.e. my journal that I desperately need to update, even though for a brief second before I left I thought "Hey, maybe I should bring something to do if I get there early?...Nah..."
So I am just doing some internet searching, checking emails, looking up study abroad stuff for next year, etc etc.
Oh! I got into the Greens House! Yay!
But I looked over the J-Term study abroad options again for next year, and I think I found one I like, or will at least look more into/think about. It's called "Education, Poverty, and Healthcare in Peru: A Service Learning Experience." Here is the description from the GAC website:
"This course provides students the opportunity to learn about the impact of poverty on a country and how education and healthcare support can alleviate some of these adverse conditions. Students will live in dorms and provide service to this poverty-stricken area by teaching English in the school program or by helping in the medical center. A cultural exploration to Machu Picchu will expand student understanding of the culture and history of Peru. Students will complete daily journals and participate in evening discussions based on readings about the country as well as issues of poverty. Final paper will be required."
Basically this is what I have always wanted to do (I remember talking to my parents about this): Teach English to little Hispanic children. Now I need to figure out how much Spanish I truly remember after not taking it for nearly 2 years (after taking it for 10). Pienso que recuerdo mucho, pero a veces no puedo hablar lo que yo quiero. Ah! Todo me regresa ahora! Me encanta hablar espanol (AY! No tilde mark available! That's the squiggly line over the "n").
I had an in-class exam today, at 9am EW!, but I think it went very well. I wasn't all that inspired by the prompts, but found one that I was at least able to ramble on about: If medieval Irish poetry idealizes the monastic experience. Sounds interesting right?! Then I had my two hour seminar where we talked about lesbian poetry of the Renaissance (I think?!) and jeez it was the longest class EVER. My tummy was making wierd noises the entire time.
I just realized I only have three more classes here at UCC. One tomorrow and two Thursday. Woah! *Tear* What the frick am I going to do with myself?! AH I DON'T WANT TO BE ALONE!
Well, I'm off to go waste 40 more minutes of my time. If it's not raining maybe I'll go to this kebab place on the corner of campus and get some chips (french fries for those who still haven't caught on!) I wonder if rehearsal will indeed go until 11 now....I get to walk some by myself...It may be raining again....yay for me......
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment