Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Still Sick

It is Tuesday evening and I would normally be at the Choral Society rehearsal but I am still sick.  I am not sure if it has even gotten better over the last few days: It seems like each day brings a new nuisance.  Today was marked by an incredible number of sneezes and nose-running like none I have experienced before. I don't know where the stuff is coming from, but it keeps coming. I have now just given up and stuck a piece of toilet paper up both nostrils (I don't have Kleenex...normally I don't need it).  Have I mentioned how attractive I look while doing so?!  I am probably not doing all I should be to "cure" myself. Not really eating all that much better, still have to walk outside in the cold, talking a lot, etc. I did go out Saturday night too to a birthday party with Peter for one of his friends from home which was TOTALLY AWESOME but, again, probably did little to assuage my illness.  

AND I had class at 9am this morning. I never thought 9am's would be difficult to get up for: We have 8am's at Gustavus, and even in the beginning of last semester I was meeting for my canoeing class at 7:45am! (I really miss that class now that I think about it. Note to Self: See if they have canoeing in Ireland).  I guess I am more "active" during the day here, and nights as well, and I didn't have to walk 20 minutes to get to campus.  But I am starting to get rather frustrated with my classes. I just feel like we're not DOING anything.  Perhaps I am just impatient.  I always feel I should be doing "more." AGH! And my Sexuality and Writing professor- SO all over the place! I won't get into it all, but I will say that perhaps a head of a department should look realistically at his schedule and work demands prior to agreeing to teach a class.  Gaelic was okay, I missed class on Friday due to my illness so I was behind. I guess like half the class was gone too, pretty sure their reasons where a little different then mine, i.e. hung over or traveling for the weekend.

Yesterday I went to see two Irish senators (not quite sure what their equivalent is in the States...) get awards from the Government and Politics Society. Peter had invited me. I knew other people who would be there. I went. Even though politicians make me nervous. The first man's speech was short, concise, okay. But the second (I must look up his name) I swear went on for an hour.  It was fairly entertaining though- We is quite the character. Extremely energetic, can't really stand still, and loves to make tangents.  

OH! It totally snowed here the last two days!!! I guess it was the most snow here they've had for many years, but it was nothing compared to the Minnesota tundra.  Many Irish people seemed to enjoy it. I did not. I came here to get away from the snow. Better than rain I guess, and it basically melted as soon as it hit the ground. Just another example of global warming...

Not really much  else to report. My goal for tomorrow is to eat a lot. I am excited. 

1 comment:

  1. The MOM would like to point out that she has directed the daughter on a 'pharmacist/chemist' that is on the very road that she walks to campus, so she should stop in tomorrow and get medication. I remember this clearly from my visits in Europe - you can't buy Tylenol at the gas station! Must go to a building with an official 'Rx' sign!

    ReplyDelete