Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Wednesday Evening

It's been over a week since I last "blogged," and I apologize. Time just goes so fast here. We're nearly half done with classes for the year, which I find highly amusing since Gustavus just started its Spring semester about a week ago, but also rather awakening to the fact that I feel like I have so much more left to do.  I think, however, that I have discovered the fountainhead from which much of my anxiety flows: I feel like I need to know EVERYBODY.  I need to know who they are, where they're from, their life story, etc etc.  And at Gustavus this is fairly easy, but not at UCC where there are over 17,000 students.  I will be a lot better off once I just get into my head that I WILL NOT and CAN'T POSSIBLY know everyone here.  Easier said that done...

Highlights from the last week:

-Caught up on all the 30 Rock episodes
-Planned out all the classes I need to take and what semesters to take them in order to get my double-major in English and Philosophy
-Looked at J-Term study abroad options for next year, including trips to Costa Rica, Mexico, Peru, Tanzania, or Australia/New Zealand
-Had a pretty nice Valentines Day 
-Felt semi-motivated to do homework today
-Planning on auditioning for the UCC choir's trip to Budapest for some music festival/competition from April 4-9th. Auditions are Monday!!!!!!!

Lowlights:
-Currently finishing my lag bag of delicious popcorn
-Evening plans fell through Monday
-Was VERY homesick and depressed Tuesday day (but evening was grand)
-Peter leaves in a week

Oh! I finally got my immigration card last Friday! It took like 5 minutes, yet cost me 150 Euro. I was so relieved to have finally gotten everything taken care of that I went shopping afterwards and got some new shoes, organic shampoo, and some porridge oats.  I plan on going shopping again THIS Friday, as well as getting a professional haircut (my lack of skills is beginning to show...yikes!). I am pretty sick of all my clothes here, the little that I brought to begin with, so I am going to treat myself to some new ones.  I think it will make me feel a lot better (not that we all should go out buying things when we're sad!) and increase my confidence a bit, at least make me more comfortable. 

In about an hour I am going with Erin to a "Mama Mia" Sing-a-long on campus, in one of the lecture halls, where for two hours we'll be singing our hearts out to the musical! I am so pumped. There's also free Red Bull, but that stuff is disgusting and I refuse to even try it.  After that its to the Thirsty to (hopefully) FINALLY hear some trad music, maybe even participate myself as I should be playing as much as possible, Colm said.  

I'm still hungry after my bag of popcorn (and the soup and apple I had for dinner) so I will go get some ice cream! I'll post as to how the audition goes, but I will most likely be doing other post before then so keep your eyes peeled! 

No comments:

Post a Comment