Friday, January 16, 2009

It's Been Two Weeks!


These past two weeks have been the longest of my life, but I know I have accomplished a lot in what is really a short period of time considering the circumstances. The first photo was taken on my way back to the UCC campus after my Bodhran lessons (more about that later). The Music Department is located up on a hill across the River Lee's north channel (the south channel runs through campus), quite a walk both from my apartment and the main campus, especially when it's uphill! The second one was taken from the red and white bridge seen in the first, called St. Vincent's Bridge. Once I crossed it I was in the northwest corner of City Center, and then had to walk back to campus for the rest of my classes. Wew! I wish there was some way to point on a map where this all is, but my computer skills are limited there. I am sure if you look it up on GoogleMaps you could find it.  

Thursday was quite busy and at the end of the day I was exhausted. First was my Bodhran lessons, which I got to an hour early since I didn't know how long it would take me to walk there. It turns out it is a private lesson! The "professor" is a really cool guy, probably in his 40's, who's kind of kooky and a lot of fun. He could tell that I would enjoy learning to play. For those who don't know, the bodhran (pronounced like bow-rawn) is the traditional Cetlic frame drum . It is becoming increasingly popular with the rise of traditional Irish music, and my family even saw one played when we went to "A Christmas Charol" at the Guthrie this Christmas.  Colm, my teacher, was explaining that it most likely originated in North Africa and then came to Ireland through the trade routes and whatnot. He says that many think it was brought over as a joke but the Irish didn't get it (and thus they still play it!)  What's interesting is the similar drums are found all over the world, in the Middle East, Spain, among Native Americans, and the rest of Africa.  You play it while holding it sideways on your knee, then hitting the skin with a small wooden thing (I forget the name of it).  Again, another thing to look up as it is hard to explain! Either way, this looks like it will be a lot of fun and I am really excited!

After the bodhran class I ate some lunch (soup and baguette for 2 Euro) and found out the schedule for my last class, the one where I speak Gaelic. It turns out that I now have class on Fridays starting next week, AND they're at 9am! At least it gets me up for the rest of the day...Then I had my other two classes, nothing too spectacular.  The meeting regarding my possible move took place as well, but nothing was determined. Hopefully more about this next week.

Today (Friday) was a pretty relaxing day even though I did get a lot done. I woke up at noon.  For some reason I find myself sleeping later than I would at home, probably because I don't really have a reason to get up. Waking up in the mornings is the hardest thing for me now because I know I will probably be alone so it's just as easy to stay in bed. Kind of depressing, I know, but once I get up and going I am a lot better. For example, after a quick breakfast of a spoonful of peanut butter (I wasn't that hungry, I ate two chocolate bars the night before), I went into town and over the next two and a half hours got the following: a Shakespeare book I needed for class, a GIANT map of Ireland, my own wooden thingy I needed for the bodhran class, a 70's mug and shawl from a charity (thrift) store, AND stamps to send letters home! What's even better is that I made my way about town and back to the bus stop without asking for directions! Yippie! I felt so in-control as if I knew what I was doing!  After a crowded bus ride home I ate a grilled cheese sandwich, broccoli and rice, banana, and more Dubliner cheese, and feasted in the glory of my new purchases. It was grand. 

I really hope all the second-hand smoke I am inhaling doesn't have repercussions in the future. I forgot how much Europeans smoke despite the fact that it says bluntly "SMOKING KILLS" on the packs of cigarettes.  

Tomorrow shall be a day of homework now that I have a decent amount, as well as seeing if I want to go ahead with an adventure on Sunday. It's supposed to be rainy, but hey, there's always a chance for rain in Ireland! 

1 comment:

  1. It's so excellent to think of you living life in Ireland- so many of the things you do sound so normal-ish, but then I remember you're across the ocean! I'm going to go look up that instrument. You should put on a concert when you get back to GAC next year!

    ~Lauren

    ReplyDelete