Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Wednesday: The Longest Day of the Week


First of all, thank you everyone for posting comments! It's nice knowing that people actually read this, and gives me a purpose for writing instead of just rambling on and on and on and on...

Nothing too interesting with classes. Sorry. I did practice my bodhran today in the music building (the one far away from campus) and passed through a beautiful park. I was in no hurry so I took a stroll through and did some photo-taking.  It was actually sunny out today, which was convenient since there was a tree (or the remains of which - there were no branches) covered in small squares of glass, like a mosaic but all mirrors, and the sun reflected off it beautifully. 

The park was a nice distraction from my drama-filled morning after my visit to the Guarda (Police) Station to get my immigration card. I won't go into the details, but put simply I didn't have the correct forms from home so they couldn't give me my card. A quick procedure has now turned into days - more likely weeks - worth of effort on my part to get the right stuff. Unfortunate.

Last night was fun. I went to the New Bar for dinner with a friend, Steph, who I met at Obama's Inauguration viewing last week.  After that we both went to the Choral Society rehearsal, meeting up with another girl, Kelsey, I met here who actually goes to the University of Minnesota and is from Wisconsin.  It was a long rehearsal - 2 hours - which I don't think Kelsey or Steph were "mentally" prepared for since this was their first time coming, but I appreciated their company! After rehearsal Steph and I went to the Old Bar (also on campus) for a singer/songwriter competition, but since the audience wasn't the judge it was basically a "come and listen to some free music at the bar" night, which we both enjoyed either way.  

I am looking forward to my bodhran lesson tomorrow. I think Colm will be impressed.  I also wish there was a way to record voice recordings on here so you all could hear my Gaelic, but Blogger hasn't thought of that yet, I guess. We can now tell the time! To say "It's five o'clock" you would pronounce it "Toh shay coo-ig a ghlug" I think. Maybe that's not right...We just learned it today!


2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, the sun! Beautiful pictures, Susie, and what a great park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caught up on your blog today . In Grand Rapids Michigan we have had record snow this year so your pics of GREEN make me envious.
    Had no idea what a bodhran was so googled same and saw some great Youtube bits. Looks like fun. The instruction makes it look easy to learn but I doubt it . Thanks for the blog . It is fun . Brad Palmer

    ReplyDelete