I finally got groceries this afternoon (and by groceries I mean eggs, wheat bread, and cookies) and they were playing the song "Still The One" by Shania Twain in the store so of course I was singing along with it. There was another young woman in there too, and I could see she was softly mouthing the words as well and it made me feel a little bit more normal regarding my singing habits in public. When I got back to the apartment I made myself two eggs sunny-side-up, two pieces of toast (one jelly, one butter), and had two cookies. Quite tasty.
I was able to watch an episode of House yesterday on my computer, which started me off on a fun adventure for the day, mind you it was all within the compounds of my cozy room. The episode was called "Painless" I think, it's not the most recent but I have no TV and sometimes I can't watch it online because it will take 3 hours to load. Anyhoo, at the end some song was playing and it was really pretty and I made it my mission to find it. I do this a lot with TV shows: I hear like 30 seconds of the song, decide I want to hear more and possibly purchase it, listen intently to try and pick up at least a 4 word phrase, and then Google it. Unfortunately I heard the phrase incorrectly, so Google-ing took me longer, but it turns out it was a song called "I Still Care for You," by Ray LaMontagne, WHO coincidentally is playing in Cork on Saturday! The reason I know this is that I have seen advertisements around town, and I think someone was either selling or looking for tickets on a post board on campus. SO I then went to YouTube, the best source for free music, and listened to some of his stuff and like it a lot. THEN I Googled to see if any more tickets were available for the concert Saturday, which, to my sadness, were all sold out. That's kinda where I stopped, the only further thing I can do is to see if anyone is indeed selling tickets on campus and purchase then ASAP. Either way, I found it interesting that the world was somehow connected in such a way as to have me watch that certain episode, hear that certain song, find it to be LaMontagne, and remember he was playing in Cork, where I am currently living.
I really want the visit to the Spires, the other apartment complex I might be moving to, to go well on Tuesday. I know I shouldn't be driven by jealousy, but when I hear of people going out with the flatmates or at least just having someone there to talk with every once in a while or at the very least just having someone LIVING in the same apartment I feel like "why shouldn't I have that too?" And people have been very nice saying I can come up to their apartment any time, but I should be able to say the same thing, right? Like have people over? I am really crossing my fingers on this one.
OH! Haha yesterday someone in the complex was practicing an instrument - I like an oboe or a saxophone - somewhere near my apartment. (They also just started playing now- How weird?!) but they were trying to play the beginning part to "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and not doing very well. I laughed to myself. I would be too embarrassed to practice an instrument in a building like this, even if I were a pro, because really everyone can hear you. You have to admit, that is kinda weird, right?! Wow, I wish I could record them playing right now: They just hit a note that sounded like a horse was stuck in some mud and calling to get out.
I wish them luck with all their musical aspirations, because they sure need it. (Mean, sorry.)

OMG. That's awesome that the 3 week old garbage is gone! As Stephanie said "future girlfriends will thank them for it" :P
ReplyDeleteHi there! I hope you can find a tkt to see Ray LaMontagne in concert. Lately I've been hearing "You Are The Best Thing" often, on Cities97. And I've heard the song you mentioned and like it alot too. He also has his version of "Crazy" that is pretty nice.
ReplyDeleteI also hope you get to move to the Spires. It sounds more like your type of surroundings. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
I've really been enjoying your posts. Especially the one where you went to a pub and actually got some play time on your boudhran! That sounded like an absolutely perfect evening. I hope you have more of those!
Take care...Deb